Getting quality sleep can be as tricky as those 2,000-piece puzzles only your grandma loves. There’s the thermostat to think about, the lighting, the mattress—the variables seem unending. But a weighted blanket suddenly makes sleep seem easy again. Wrap up with one once, and you’ll be craving those deep, restful z’s every night thereafter.
Now that you’re ready to get a weighted blanket to call your own, you may be wondering: how heavy should your weighted blanket be?
What Is a Weighted Blanket?
Before you determine how heavy your weighted blanket should be, let’s talk about what makes a weighted blanket feel so amazing. Like an inviting hug, weighted blankets send your body into a more relaxed state using a form of therapy called deep touch pressure stimulation. Weighted blankets are filled with tempered glass beads that are surrounded by a fluffy polyester mesh. You’ll get the best results by finding the perfect weight for your body.
How Heavy Should My Weighted Blanket Be?
As a general rule of thumb, it’s best to choose a weighted blanket that’s 10% of your body weight. But some people prefer a lighter or heavier blanket, so we suggest doing a trial to figure out how heavy your blanket should be.
Ready to test-run? It’s simple: just stack a couple of blankets on top of you and then continue to add more blankets until you find the optimal weight. You can carry the blankets over to a scale to see how much they weigh, then use that intel to pick your weighted blanket.
Can a Weighted Blanket Be Too Heavy?
Yes, a weighted blanket can be a bit too heavy if it’s not the ideal weight for your size. Most weighted blankets do not exceed 20 pounds. Anything heavier could be uncomfortable or even pose a safety risk if it is too difficult to move. Weighted blankets should be reserved for adults and teenagers only, since children under the age of 5 or under 50 pounds may not have the strength to push off a weighted blanket.
Finding the Right Blanket Weight
Find the perfect weight for your blanket at a glance using these guidelines:
- Ages 11-13: Kids of this age usually weigh 70-90 pounds, making a 5-pound blanket the best choice.
- Ages 14-20: Teenagers and young adults weigh 100-160 pounds on average, so a 10-15 pound blanket is ideal.
- Adults who weigh more than 160: Anyone who weighs more than 160 should be most comfortable with a 20-pound blanket.
Other Factors to Think about When Choosing a Weighted Blanket
The weight of your blanket plays a huge role in how it helps you sleep, but there are a few other factors to consider before you spring for one.
- Fabric: How do you want your blanket to feel? Weighted blankets come in all types of fabric, so you can have your pick of luxurious fabrics like faux fur and minky.
- Temperature: Do you prefer to sleep in a cool or warmer environment? The type of weighted blanket you choose will influence how warm you are at night. Choose a bamboo fabric if you’re looking for something cool and breathable.
- Machine washable: You’ll be using your weighted blanket day in and day out—and it’s eventually going to get a little dirty. For the ultimate convenience, choose a blanket that can be easily cleaned in your washing machine.
Find Your Perfect Weighted Blanket Today
All right. When it comes to finding the perfect blanket weight, you know the drill. Now it’s time for the fun part. Shop Comma Home today to find a premium weighted blanket in your favorite fabric. Whether you choose minky, bamboo, or faux fur, it’s sure to be love at first touch.